With live performance currently prohibited, Live Cinema UK has been working on how we can support artists and venues until we can get back to presenting incredible live events. So, we’ve approached one of our favourite live re-score artists Haiku Salut with a challenge…Over the next month, we’re selecting two short archive films for Haiku Salut to create an alternative score for, and they have two weeks to create an alternative score for that film. The challenge has been accepted.
4 and 20 Fit Girls – Sunday 19th July
The first alternative score was for eccentric 1940s exercise short 4 and 20 Fit Girls, which premiered as a watch party and a live chat with Haiku Salut. This event also raised donations for three independent cinemas in the East Midlands and Yorkshire: Broadway (Nottingham), Derby Quad, and Showroom Cinema Sheffield. 100% of the proceeds went to these cinemas.
Nude Women By Waterfall – Sunday 2nd August
On Sunday August 2nd at 6pm we’ll be sharing the second part of the re-score project, Nude Woman by Waterfall, a ten minute sensuous bohemian film recorded in 1920 by filmographer, Claude Friese-Greene. You can read more about the re-score at the Haiku Salut Blog. The event is completely free to take part in however donations will be gratefully accepted and 100% will go towards supporting independent cinemas currently closed where we would in other circumstances be performing this re-score live.
For this screening any donations will be split between our wonderful local cinema The Northern Light in Wirksworth and Hyde Park Picture House in Leeds. Donations can be sent via Paypal to https://www.paypal.me/livecinema. Live Cinema UK are taking no money from these events and 100% of proceeds will go to the cinemas.
1. Load up ‘Nude Woman by Waterfall‘ on BFI Player (FREE)
2. You will need two devices – phone, tablet or computer. One device to play the film from (make sure this is muted). You also need to make sure the film is paused at 0:00 (very important, otherwise there might a lag) . If your system is prone to buffering, test it out before hand.
3. The other device will play the soundtrack and be available for live chat and Q&A on Mixlr – http://mixlr.com/haikusalut/ The link will take you to our Mixlr page. It will tell you when we are on air. If you are listening via smartphone click ‘Listen Live’. If you are listening via laptop click’ ‘Press to Play’.
4. There will be one song while we wait for everyone to join, and then a short introduction. You will be counted in to press play on BFI player on your other device.
5. We’ll introduce the tracks in the chat box on Mixlr, and answer any questions.
6. Have a lovely time!
7. Donate to support Live Cinema UK independent cinema partners who are unable to open during lockdown – https://www.paypal.me/livecinema
We actively stand against artists being expected to put their work out online for free, and Haiku Salut are being paid for their time on this project thanks to the support of Arts Council England’s Emergency Response Fund, and Film Hub North. If you would like to ‘tip’ Haiku Salut, please consider buying their music and merchandise from their website.